Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Night Stand.....

$1800 from $3600


In my quest for the perfect night stands, I went to my one of my favorite sites, 1stdibs

to check out the Saturday Shopping Sale. There were some beauties from the 1900's -1970's.

I thought I would share a few from each decade/era. It is amazing to see how they all still work in today's interiors! Some of the prices were not too bad either.

The gorgeous lacquered chinese cabinets above are circa 1900. I think they would make excellent bedside tables or beautiful end tables in a scrumptious space. They would be like precious gems in a room with the carving and detail that creates the rich patina they now have.

and...they are half price!

Offered by Gottlieb Gallery




$2800 from $3800


"American Chic" is the description of these two side tables. They are early 20th century and quite fabulous in my opinion. I picture poppy coloured lamps on top with black silk shades to enhance a space with modern and traditional pieces.

Offered by Antiques and Modern Design

$2800 from $3500
These red lacquer chinoiserie style tables are to die for! They were made in the 1930's. I can picture them used in so many different spaces. They would be perfect night stands, but would look fabulous in a salon next to low barrel club chairs as cocktail tables or in a garden room. I can picture chinese porcelain garden benches in the "space" or beautiful chinoiserie lamps in blue and white on top... Where would you use these tables?

$2000 from $2800

I think these 1940's drop leaf face front night stands from France are my favorite. They are so multi functional as seen below. Truly special in my book. I would pay $2000 for the pair.
Take a look at the picture below that shows how they open up into quaint little writing desks with nice storage. These would be great as a pair...or if you only had one, perfect for the guest room.

Offered by Galerie Sommerlath





See...isn't this fabulous!?!

$4200 from $4800
Art deco chic is what I would call these deep violet night stands also circa 1940's ... they are so stylish in a quiet kind of way. I think they would look fantastic with mirrored trays on top or with lamps with mirrored bases and crisp white shades... OOOhhhh La LA....
$6200 for the pair
Okay...so this table (1 of a pair ) is not on sale... but it is to die for! 1950's and Paul McCobb ..... what more can I say?... These tables are a perfect mix of textures... that caned shelf on the bottom..mixed with metal and the wood cabinet..the top appears to be polished stone or marble..
Delicious is all I can say!
Offered by Downtown






$2400 from $2800
Okay.... maybe it's the 1950's and T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings that gets your heart a flutter.
These simple, sturdy night stands are so versatile. I picture them in a young man's room with metal desk lamps from a Paris flea market on top.
$1800 from $2400


One more pair from the 1950's..... I just love the shape of these don't you? The black lacquer frontt mixed with the natural wood is beautifully showcased in these night night stands. There is no credit given to who designed them, but at $1800 I think they are reasonably priced.
Offered by Nickey Kehoe Shop
$1900 from $4000
"Drastically reduced" the ad says for this pair of chests from the 1960's. The hardware is original and the chests were refinished. I would have liked to have seen what they looked like in their original state. My guess is they are reduced because many people prefer the "patina" of these pieces rather than a new paint job.
SOLD!
Darn it!!! I posted only 1 of this charming pair of yellow night stands...another offering from the 1960's. No wonder they sold ... what's not to love? I would call this design Chinese Chic!
mmm... a black shiny lamp base with a trellis pattern on the shade...??? mmm...
$3800 from $4800
1960's mod... Bone veneer... by Karl Springer... ahhh.... I can see a zebra rug in the room that these night stands adorn... can you?
Offered by John Salibello
$2200 from $3600
Sooo... I almost fainted when I saw these fanTABUUUUlous mirror, glass and metal tables made in the 1970's.. I think they would be perfect next to a bed with a leather apholstered headboard or mmm..velvet..yes..that's the ticket..and maybe some Jonathan Adler "X" benches at the end of the bed to repeat the "X" frame of these tables...mmm.. aren't they just ... just....Swoon!


Here's a closer look.... stunning I think!
Offered by Gottleib Gallery
Which night stands are your favorite? Where else in the house can you see some of these pieces?
Enjoy the weekend!

5 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

My favorite are the first two posts. I love furniture w/an Asian flair.
Happy weekend!

Maria Killam said...

The yellow one is definitely my fav, but you have a lot of beautiful ones here!! I hope my 2 night stands look this expensive :)

Kelley said...

Hi! Night stands are really hard to find sometimes...there are so many fun things on 1stdibs...I love it too!

xx kelley

ps: thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment : )

annechovie said...

I love the yellow one! xx

24 Corners said...

I really like the first pair...vintage chinese, so unique!

We have a pair of old Smith and Hawkins wrought iron pedestal tables that we've used for years, kind of victorian but not as froofy...still love them!

Have a fabulous weekend!!! xo